Rhetorical Analysis

For this particular phase, there were three separate parts that all revolved around rhetorical analysis. The first part consisted of observing and reflecting on rhetorical strategies used by the writers of the works we’ve read. The second and third parts consisted of creating a rhetorical text of my own using the rhetorical strategies learned to present an argument to an audience, and then reflecting on my work (similar to part 1).

Part 1 – Analysis of Amy Tan’s Narrative

In Amy Tan’s narrative “Mother Tongue”, she shares her experiences with Standard English and the English she learned at home to argue that her English should be considered perfectly acceptable (as it doesn’t indicate lower intelligence) to native English-speaking Americans. She also relates to many bilingual first-generation Americans in an effort to bring their struggles to light and reassure them that those struggles are valid. Tan uses a couple rhetorical strategies to convey these ideas. The first one she uses is logos by sharing the experiences of her mother. She notes that her mother uses “Broken” English, and inserts a bit of dialogue to let the readers get an idea of how she sounds/speaks. She then recounts the times where her mother wasn’t taken seriously, to the point where her health was put on the line. Despite this, Amy Tan notes that her mother “reads the Forbes report, listens to Wall Street Week, converses daily with her stockbroker, reads all of Shirley MacLaine’s books with ease-all kinds of things I can’t begin to understand.” While she clearly understands the language, she is mistreated by those who speak it because they believe low diction corresponds to lower intelligence. Another strategy she uses is ethos. Tan states that she is not a master of the English language, but is a writer. Language is of great importance to her, regardless of the one she uses. As a result, she has a lot of experience with Standard English and switching between “Englishes”. She includes instances of this in the narrative with both speaking and writing. The publisher who published her narrative is also known for publishing similar thought-provoking pieces relating to English literature, and is read by people who are interested in broadening their mindsets and open to hearing other opinions. A third strategy she uses is pathos, which I think is most dominant in the piece. Tan recounts the embarrassment and guilt she felt whenever she had to speak for her mother, an action a lot of first-generation bilingual Americans probably relate to. She also talks about her experiences in school with English and the tendency for Asian Americans to pick math and science over English literature, which many others relate to as well. She gives vivid and specific descriptions for these experiences, allowing the native speaking readers to fully understand how she felt and the bilingual readers to find reassurance.

Part 2 – Own Rhetorical Text (Media: PowerPoint Presentation)

Link to presentation: Phase 2 Part 2 Slideshow.pptx

Phase 3 – Analysis of Created Rhetorical Text

My argument centered around learning new languages and is targeted to monolingual speakers; in particular, native English speaking white Americans, as English is considered (today) to be a global language and is widely used to communicate between countries. Another reason I chose this audience is because racism is very prevalent from this group to other races and cultures, and I think learning another language will help broaden their mindsets and reduce the racism and ignorance. Furthermore, like I mention in my argument, learning another language can have a positive impact on many aspects of a person’s life. I chose a slideshow to present my argument to the audience because my main intent is to inform the audience of the benefits of being bilingual as well as my experiences with language. Slideshows are typically meant to showcase something to the audience in a formal way, so by using one I intend to show how serious I am about the topic. One rhetorical strategy I use in this argument is logos. I use a lot of facts and studies in my argument because they show that there is a statistically significant relationship between learning another language and physiological health. These studies are used to improve the medical field and help people stay healthy, so they are reliable and can be trusted. The argument in general is very logic based; if there is no detriment from learning a second language, and can have so many positive impacts on your life, why wouldn’t you go ahead and do it? For my argument to appeal to my audience, I felt like I needed to appeal to their self-interest. In this context (which is targeting monolingual white Americans), learning another language is more for the benefit of another Americans who don’t speak English fluently; the audience would essentially have to put in the effort to “benefit” another group. I’m also sure the audience has also heard the argument of it being “morally right” just as often, which makes them desensitized to the issue. By informing them of numerous potential benefits, I think that they’re more likely to be interested. 

Another rhetorical strategy I use is ethos. I have a lot of experience with bilingualism as the area I generally live in is very diverse. I’ve seen the challenges and benefits of speaking multiple languages firsthand. While America is a lot more diverse then other countries, a large majority of the country isn’t actually as diverse. New York City in general is very ethnic and diverse but doesn’t reflect the diversity of the rest of the nation. White americans make up the majority, and as a result indirectly influence social “trends” and ideologies, which includes racism and religious discrimination. They also make up a majority of the government, which means that these ideologies may influence their decisions, which could negatively impact the lives of my community and other minorities. While learning another language may not “solve” racism, it may reduce the violence and discrimination against minorities and improve the state of the country.